Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Arriving At Conclusions

For a number of reasons, before discussing matters of importance it should first be discussed how individuals ought to arrive at conclusions. I would think this shouldn’t be necessary to even mention but in order to refute a number of prominent ideas on how (Christians especially) ought to make decisions, I felt I should explain my opinions.

It seems almost chivalrous this day in age to discredit reason & logic. People speak of these as if there were some great catastrophe of robot-like thinkers employing only logic and reason towards every aspect of life. Don’t get me wrong, none of these slanderous thoughts or statements towards logic are well pronounced… that is, they might very well go unnoticed (as you probably don’t know what I’m talking about even now). I will give examples later but the danger I see is this: as we continuously look at logic & reason as faulty or incomplete methods for arriving at conclusions (which we ought to in some extreme cases), we begin to allow other methods (such as emotion) to play parts in decisions where they have no business.




No comments: