Thursday, May 25, 2006

Penance

"Fools mock at making amends for sin, but goodwill is found among the upright."
- Proverbs 14:9

I'm sure there are many ways to read this but as a new Catholic this verse struck me as speaking to people like Jack Chick who are anti-everything Catholic. They mock at the idea of penance. As a former Protestant, it was very ingrained in my head the idea that 'nothing on Earth except inner beliefs and feelings can have any eternal value'. This is in stark contrast to the Catholic Church that external signs etc.. (like Baptism) can and do have very real consequences in the afterlife. I will come back to this particular issue later some day as I feel it's important. However for now, I just wanted to point out this verse as an Old Testament passage pointing to the future rite of penance.

Furthermore, penance makes a lot of sense out of God's attribute of justice while taking nothing away from His mercy.

No comments: