Friday, June 16, 2006

Importance of Symbolism

In his article titled "Sexual Symbolism", Peter Kreeft captures a thought that I've wanted to express for a while now but couldn't find the words to adequately do so.

This is a well written article touching on just one of the reasons why women shouldn't be ordained. But what I found more interesting than the specific subject per se, was the method used to defend the Catholic stand. It rings very familiar of G. K. Chesterton.

I still can't word the concept very well because it's an abstract one and my mind doesn't work that way. But I've always found it amazing how in life and the observable world around us, just about everything has it's metaphor somewhere. Everything has symbolism found in other areas of life even completely unrelated. This is how Jesus was able to so brilliantly teach great mysteries by using parables. Mark tells us that "He did not say anything to them without using a parable"(1).

Why would a world without order and inherent purpose be so filled with metaphors and symbolism? Wouldn't it make just as much (or more) sense that the world might have only a few if any prefigurations, metaphors or symbols? I view this phenomenon as one of the many hidden signatures of God in the universe; that He has created the world with parallels, symbols & metaphors interwoven into every realm of creation. I think there is much to be said on the subject, it would just require someone more able than me. I would recommend reading Mr. Kreeft's article.

1 comment:

NotMyOpinion30 said...

Here is a link on the same topic:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html