Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Sad State of the Constitution State

This is reposted (with permission) from a friend (NMO for those of you who know him) who is moving to CT at the end of the month. This is his reply to the post from Bridgeport's bishop - bishop William Lori. Here is the original post.

The good bishop is misinterpreting Catholic teaching in his post. Read it all,
it is very misleading. But the most disappointing part of the entry is the
following line:

"The Church, which opposes contraception under normal
circumstances, allows it in the tragic and gravely unjust case of a sexual
assault." I don't know which "Church" he's talking about, but it ain't the
Catholic Church. He says this in support of Catholic hospitals handing out "Plan
B" to women who have been sexually assaulted. Umm... Plan B isn't a
contraception, it's an abortifacient. It actually aborts a fertilized egg. It
always worries me when clergy start trying to use medical terms to describe a
newly created human soul and body.

His post is very misleading, for
example he says this:

"Our Catholic hospitals in Connecticut also
administer (in one and the same procedure) an ovulation test. In the case of a
just-fertilized ovum, the Plan B medication functions not as a contraceptive but
as an abortifacient by preventing the implantation of the fertilized ovum in the
wall of the uterus. In other words, our Catholic hospitals, because of their
respect for all human life, will not risk inducing an early abortion."

Sounds good?

Then he says this (emphasis my own):

"To my knowledge, no Catholic hospital in Connecticut has ever denied an assault victim Plan B – a medication that can be readily obtained over-the-counter. In addition to providing this medication, Catholic hospitals reach out to assault victims and their families with counseling, spiritual guidance, and many other forms of assistance."

I responded to him to ask him to clarify where the Church
teaches what he claimed. Of course, I didn't hear back.

4 comments:

Tiber Jumper said...

How was vacation?
Where's NMO been?
Inquiring Catholics want to know!

Amber said...

Tsk tsk...

TheGodFearinFiddler said...

Ive just returned and Im not quite oriented yet. I suspect it will take a week or 2 to get readjusted. Vacation was awesome thanks for asking! I'll probably post something about it tomorrow. And NMO is doing well I think, he's moving to CT at the end of this month which is sad news for me but good for his job situation. I'll let him know you were asking about him.

Now I just gotta catch up on reading all my blogs which I didnt do at all while i was gone... This is gonna take some time!

Tiber Jumper said...

Glad your back safe and blogging. Tell NMO to e mail me sometime