Tuesday, June 05, 2007

How I Got Over Mariology

If you've read my blog for any length of time, I think you will have noticed that accepting Mariology has been a long & sometimes even painful process for me. Here's how I got over it...

It is written, 'you shall not put the Lord your God to the test' but it never said anything about putting His mother to the test... so I did. Maybe it was wrong of me...

But I asked Mary to help me understand and accept the teachings of the Church by petitioning her Son on my behalf for something that I have prayed for consistently and unceasingly for over 10 years. If my prayer was answered, I'd know that Mariology was true. Well within one week, my prayer was answered with a yes.

Thanks Mama Mary! (as the Filipinos say)

3 comments:

JP Manzi said...

Would you mind sharing what your biggest hurdle was in regards to Mary and how you have overcome it?

Amber said...

Wow! Care to share?

TheGodFearinFiddler said...

Amber - I'd prefer to keep it private :)

JP - Thats a tough question because it varied as I went through different stages.

At first, it was the Immaculate Conception. Later it became devotion to her. Initially, I depended intellectually on the strength of the Catholic Church's apologetics in other areas. Although it seemed to me she was wrong on this one, I couldn't deny that she was right on all the others..and if she really was the one true Church, it doesn't matter if I agree or disagree - she's right I'm wrong.

I think going to mass for a full year was one of the biggest things that helped me get over my hurdles. If you have concerns about Mary being too central in Catholicism, the mass will put those to rest quickly. The mass is the central act of worship for Catholics and it is completely Christ-centered. All our prayers are prayed in -- not Mary's name and not even through Mary but in Christ's name.

Her name is mentioned in passing during the liturgy twice I think. Once in the creed and once during a prayer along with St. Joseph and "all the saints". Here is my recent post on the topic of why Mariology is so offensive to Protestants. This may be of additional help I dont know.

In the end, Im sure the most important thing I did was pray about it. It sure didn't come over night though.