Monday, June 04, 2007

Should Religion Affect Your Decisions?

So Schwarzenegger said that he doesn't let his Catholic faith interfere with his political decisions. Well I'm sure the atheists are happy.

“I always said that you should not have your religion interfere with government policies or with the policies of the people,”
Of course not! We wouldn't want morality interfering with our daily lives. Just think of the millions of criminals oppressed into following God's silly moral code. After all, who is the Church to tell us lay people how we should act?
“I am a Catholic and a very dedicated Catholic,"
Great! That means you've changed your mind?
"but that does not interfere with my decision-making"
Oh I see... THAT kind of 'dedicated' Catholic.
"because I know that stem-cell research, the way we are doing it in California ... is the right way to go and will save, very quickly down the line, lives and cure a lot of these illnesses,”
Well actually governor, you don't know that because it's simply false. There are many other countries - such as South Korea - who have had unrestricted embryonic stem cell research for years and have produced absolutely nothing. Let's not forget that South Korea has been having technological breakthroughs in other areas so it's not merely a question of competency.

Bottom line - the ends do not justify the means. And by it's very definition, Christianity is something that will not merely affect but will dominate your decisions if followed with sincerity. Being a politician doesn't excuse your moral subjectivity and the countless evils that will result. On the contrary...

3 comments:

undergroundlogician said...

Hey Brother!

I'm a former Protestant minister that converted to the Catholic faith back in 1996. It's great to be on your site!

Been on the look out for up-to-date arguments against Sola Scriptura and found your website. I've read Keating, Armstrong, and Sungenis' works on the subject, but looking for some incisive questions to ask rabid anti-Catholics.

You see, I live in Wisconsin and there will be this weekend an anti-Catholic evangelism event that is open to the public. My intention is to do some damage control during their question and answer sessions. I'm looking for some topnotch questions that will stop them in their tracks.

Any suggestions? I'll check back later.

God bless, GFF!!

TheGodFearinFiddler said...

Underground - glad to hear about your conversion.

Boy do I love stuff like this! I have to run bc I need to meet someone for dinner then off to choir practice. I'll get back with you later on this evening, until then, anyone else please pipe in with some good links if you have them.

TheGodFearinFiddler said...

I responded here in this post. It's long.

Sola Who?