Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I've Been Tagged - 8 Things You Never Wanted to Know About Yours Truly

I've been tagged by Doc Rampage. Here are the rules:

The rules are simple…Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
And here are my 8:

1. I am currently translating a 'world's first' Jarai-English dictionary. (Jarai is a language of the Jarai tribe of Montagnards - indigenous to the central highlands of Vietnam)

2. Quirk: I can't stand the sound of water being poured into a cup on a recording, the sound of recorded kissing and especially the sound of some idiot who thinks its 'creepy' to whisper. I'd rather hear fingernails scratch a chalk board then whispers on movies or audio.

3. I have a 3 year old German Shepherd named Lexi who is trained to open my refrigerator door and bring me a beer on command.

4. I used to play keyboard in a classic rock band and later fiddle in a southern gospel group (my uncle sings professionally for one of the most well known Southern Gospel groups). My favorite genres of music are sacred/traditional chant (especially Eastern/Byzantine) and southern gospel/bluegrass - go figure.

5. I work at a homeless shelter.

6. One of my all time favorite things to do is to have a cookout with good food and friends/neighbors/family.

7. Out of my entire extended family, I am the only Catholic.

8. I can quote the entire gospel of Mark in the NIV from start to finish (takes about 2 hours)

And now I hereby tag the following fellow bloggers:

Tiber Jumper
This Catholic Journey
Kenny Pearce
The Crescat
The Underground Logician
Proto Catholic
Exsurge Domine
Modern Bizzle

10 comments:

Chad Toney said...

Wow.

This is one of the best lists of quirks I have ever seen!

TheGodFearinFiddler said...

What can I say...Im quirky.

MMajor Fan said...

How very interesting! I like reading these. We share a lot of interests. I see on your profile that you are also interested in Japanese, so am I, both Chinese and Japanese calligraphy.

Kacy said...

I must say that number three is amazingly cool!

Amber said...

The ENTIRE gospel of Mark?! Whoa!

As for the recorded whispers and stuff... pretty quirky!

TheGodFearinFiddler said...

You'd be surprised how easy it is. Think of how many songs you know the lyrics too, how many 2 hour movies which yuo can quote nearly every line in. If yuo added them all together, its much more than the gospel of Mark. I just listened to it on a cd in my car and kept repeating it until I could say the whole thing. I cant start in the middle but if I get started from the beginning - just like song lyrics, one word or phrase reminds me of the next.

St. John Chrysostom said:

"For, tell me, who of you that stand here, if he were required, could repeat one Psalm, or any other portion of the divine Scriptures? There is not one.

And it is not this only that is the grievous thing, but that while ye are become so backward with respect to things spiritual, yet in regard of what belongs to Satan ye are more vehement than fire. Thus should any one be minded to ask of you songs of devils and impure effeminate melodies, he will find many that know these perfectly, and repeat them with much pleasure."

Carolina Cannonball said...

its been ages since I've been tagged for anything. very interesting & quirky stuff. I never would have guessed any of that about you bc you always seem so quiet at church.

RainDrop said...

i can't stand the sound of fingernails on linen. ooooooh, it makes me shiver!

Mark Cephas Tan said...

done

Kim said...

On #2, I can not stand to listen to my husband eating. It makes me absolutely nauseous. Must. get. away. from. him.

If you're interested in anything beyond a synthesizer, my hubby has a very cool combo organ site here. He's really into them.