Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Pelikan On Mary Throughout History

I just got a new book: "Mary Through the Centuries" by Jaroslav Pelikan. (Written while he was still a Lutheran, 2 years before he was received into the Orthodox Church).

Here's a nice quote from the first chapter (the first of a few I'd like to share as I get the time):

When, several chapters after the solemn prologue, "And the Word was God," the Gospel of John had Jesus say of himself, "My Father is greater than I," Augustine had to bring his heaviest weapons into action. If the Protestant Reformers and their descendants were willing to hold still for such a manipulation of New Testament passages in the interest of upholding a doctrinal development that had come only in later centuries-and they were-what stood in the way of such manipulation when the passage in question was "This is my body" or "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church"?
I can already tell I'm going to like this book.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I read "Whose Bible Is It?" by the same author. Loved it and would be delighted to read anything he wrote.

TheGodFearinFiddler said...

So far I'm very impressed. I didn't really get into his "Emergence of Catholic Tradition" but it does contain useful information - I just didn't particularly care for the style.

I have a hard time processing any historical data that's not strictly chronological.