Sunday, November 11, 2007

Book Review - Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI

I had this book on pre-order for about 6 months before it came out. When it finally arrived in May (I think) I promptly set it on the shelf and let it collect dust for another 5 months. Don't ask me why.

At any rate, I finally picked it up and read it. It was a very easy read - and it moved very quickly. I wasn't as impressed with it as I anticipated being and I think I've found that Pope Benedict speaks much more impressively when he speaks in an official ecclesial capacity (may have a slight connection with the Holy Spirit). That is not to say it wasn't a good book or even a great one. It was and well worth the read.

I would encourage anyone whether Catholic or not to read it. I don't think there is anything that a non-Catholic would find objectionable (unless you're the liberal historical critical scholar B16 continually rails on in which case the more you find objectionable - the better of a book it must be).

1 comment:

japhy said...

I couldn't find it at my Barnes & Noble this weekend, so I bought two others by him instead: "The Apostles" and "In The Beginning..."

But since I haven't even read "The Spirit of the Liturgy" yet (and it's gathering dust on my bookshelf), I don't know when I'll get around to them. Or maybe I'll just read the shortest one first.