Monday, November 12, 2007

You Are the Light of the World - Heaven & Hell and Other Random Thoughts

If I hear another 'you are the light of the world' homily I'm gonna puke. You know the one I'm talking about - the safe, ambiguous and powerless homilies often having little to do with the gospel readings. I was talking with a friend about this recently and we both came to the same conclusion - they suck.

I hear a lot of good theology at my parish - our priests are pretty good about that. Unfortunately the homilies are too often summarized up with the "salt & light of the world" bit.. Guys, Christ said this once. He didn't wrap His entire identity around this catch phrase - move on!

I was also thinking about Jesus' words on the subject in Mark's gospel. In chapter 4 Jesus said "salt is good but if it loses its saltiness how can you make it salty again?" This cryptic saying is tough to decode but our current liturgical crisis comes to mind. To say that the Catholic liturgy has lost its saltiness is being extremely generous. I wonder, like Jesus' rhetorical question, can it ever regain its saltiness again? I was reminded of this thought when I read Japhy's post on the "Jenga mass" earlier today.

Last week's homily was good, it dared to mention the realities of hell. I wondered, during the homily, why is it that we're so quick to affirm that our figurative visions of heaven are but shadows of the joy which awaits the saints but the fiery images of hell are actually a little on the harsh side... In simpler terms - we think heaven will be greater than our imagination but we think our imagination is worse than the real hell.

No comments: