Friday, September 26, 2008

St. Bernadette

My family watched the 1988 movie about St. Bernadette and the miracle at Lourdes last night. What a nice movie! It wasn't quite up to par with contemporary theatrical sensibilities but in a lot of ways it exceeded anything you could hope to see on the big screen these days.

First, I found it absolutely refreshing to see the Catholic Church not portrayed as the enemy in a movie for a change. Even the scenes where Bernadette was being questioned by the hierarchical authorities, not only were they reasonable and respectful but so was she!

Which brings me to my next point that it was sobering to see a heroine portrayed without bitchiness, independence and pride as her heroic moral qualities. She was portrayed as being humble and having the heart of a servant! Wow! It is the kind of beauty that makes the world gnash their teeth.

According the note at the end of the film, it is played daily at the shrine at Lourdes. I would recommend this as a nice family film.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Sounds like a good movie. I'll have to add it to my "movies to see list.