Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Least of These

When I walk into a parish, I can usually spot the one who, out of all men present, would give the worst homily. He's often wearing a cassock.

Other Christian communities find and pay the best speakers as their pastors but priests are called (by God) to sacramental ministry and some of them don't even earn a salary. God is in the business of calling poor speakers ever since Moses. It isn't just their lack of charisma; many times the real disappointment is their inability to teach. I think people rarely absorb a thing they say. Preaching.... Catholics just aren't good at it.

But God delights in these sorts of things, He always has. If men chose the pastor, he'd always be charismatic, good looking and an excellent teacher. Often God calls "the least of these" that His glory may be manifest and not the speaker's.

It goes without saying that there are plenty of fantastic priests out there. To all of them (whether great or not), thank you for answering God's call.


9 comments:

Ashley Weis said...

Oh dear, I so agree with this post!

George Weis said...

Yep! Now, I am glad that a few Fr. Longinecker types are out there. My friend father Leo exudes warmth and love, and I have heard one homily that was very excited.

Yes, god delights in the underdogs for sure. Now, our pastors is an old guy, and he is endearing, but I wouldn't call him terribly good looking haha!

-g-

Giovanni A. Cattaneo said...

You can add Father Corapi to that list.

Giovanni A. Cattaneo said...

Oh and my own parish Priest at Our Lady of Grace, Msgr. Galligher.

George Weis said...

I agree. I have only heard him twice, but I agree... I actually had him in mind :)

-g-

Dmitry Chernikov said...

So, God delights in... incompetence?

Tim A. Troutman said...

2 Corinthians 12:9

Dmitry Chernikov said...

Matthew 5:48, and God, presumably, is a perfect preacher and public speaker. Also, Luke 13:24, suggesting that you are to develop your own skills. Finally, (Summa Theologica, II-I, 76; 77; 78) in which Aquinas argues that weakness is one of the three causes of sin, the other two being ignorance and malice.

Tim A. Troutman said...

I quoted Corinthians to show in what sense I was speaking. I am sure you agree with the passage I quoted, (as I agree with those you quoted), so why not leave it at that? I think you're being disagreeable for the sake of disagreeing.