Wednesday, December 17, 2008

O Magnum Mysterium

O Magnum Mysterium; the impassible God took on mortal flesh. This, perhaps the most defining of Catholic dogmas, the appropriate centrality of the Incarnation has affected my theological orientation more than any other new thing for me in becoming a member of that same Church which He who was incarnated founded.

The incarnation, yes that event in which God was made present should not be far in our minds from the Church –that body in which the Kingdom of heaven is made present.

And if ever we think we have understood it, then we can rest assured we have missed it altogether. We would be further from truth still were we ever to grow comfortable with it. Yes, I’d say every time you think of the Incarnation it ought to startle and offend you. Every time. O Magnum Mysterium.

6 comments:

George Weis said...

Offensive Beauty!

Hey, Have you ever sung the song? It is beautiful to sing! One of my other favs!

-g-

Gretchen said...

Yes! I was just pondering the "Word made flesh" the other day, and it seem scandalous that out God would deign to take on our condition. "What manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us...!"

Tim A. Troutman said...

We haven't done this one yet. It is truly beautiful, I was listening to it when I got inspired to write this post. :)

George Weis said...

I did it in high school... yeah, my biblicist school was doing a Catholic tune... actually quite a few... see my post on In Dulce Jubilo.

-g-

Jason Stellman said...

Tim,

Could you provide the title of, or a link to, something written on the magnum mysterium from a Catholic perspective (preferably something devotional)?

Thanks in advance,

JJS

Tim A. Troutman said...

I don't have any personal recommendations. Perhaps one of my readers does? I'll ask around. Here's Aquinas on the Incarnation. Maybe not quite devotional.