Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reasons Not to be Catholic

Former Protestants who are now Catholics all thought that Catholics worshiped Mary and that the Catholics were idolaters. In short, former Protestants always thought of the Catholic Church all the same things that Protestant apologists cite as reasons not to be Catholic.

But former Catholics who are now Protestants never thought that sola scriptura was not found in Scripture and ipso facto impossible. They never thought that man could not establish his own Church aside from Christ. They never thought about theology to be frank. In short, they never thought of the Protestant community any of the things which Catholic apologists cite as reasons not to be Protestant.

3 comments:

Giovanni A. Cattaneo said...

I am not sure where I read but in a conversation a Protestant says to a Catholic.

"You do not fear us the way we fear you."

To be a protestant means that your whole identity is shaped under the jagged edge of what is Catholic and how to avoid it.

My wife is Southern Baptist and when I have gone to her church, I have often looked it as, wow there is a lot of things they get right.

They are for all intents and purposes a reactionary movement. While the Church simply continues, people must either follow or pull away.

Gretchen said...

What it came down to for me, Tim, was once I found out the truth about what I'd been taught as a Protestant (the Mary stuff, the Pope stuff, etc) then I was able to look more closely at the claims of the Catholic Church with an unbiased eye. I was unpleasantly surprised to know that I had been 'educated' into rebellion by Protestant doctrine and teaching. There's no pretty way of saying that, either. Did Luther and others have a point? Of course. But the great reformers of the Church have stayed within it, right? St. Francis and St. Teresa and all the others. They worked in their spheres of influence and God then widened the healing to the whole Church. It is marvelous to me. The saints' work is not just in time but eternity. And I'm not saying that Protestants don't do marvelous works for God. They do, and I am deeply grateful for all I learned of God while a Protestant. But the sense of truly being 'home' is something that is not earthly. It is from God, and therefore this settled peacefulness that passes all knowledge means to me that I am in communion with His Church here on earth. And that Church is where the Vicar of Christ resides. I know this will gall some, but I can only speak what I've experienced as a convert.

contrarian 78 said...

This needs thought needs development, but yes, it's quite true of my experience.

What's also important is that former Protestants would agree with the Protestant apologists' criticisms were they accurate. Where they are accurate, they are not universally applicable and are faults that we pray end in the Catholic Church.