Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Too Much Focus on Mary?

Can you focus too much on Mary in your spiritual life? I say no. To the extent where Mary detracts from the adoration of Christ, she is a false Mary. The real Mary always points to Christ never away from Him; never to herself. So it would be impossible to focus on her too much because when you focus on the true Mary even a little, you hear her last words in Scripture, "Do whatever He tells you".

A Mary that points anywhere but Christ is a fabricated Mary just as a Jesus who hates organized religion is a fabricated Jesus.

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

7 comments:

Giovanni A. Cattaneo said...

Very well said.

Andrew Preslar said...

Amen.

The Catholic Journeyman said...

Christocentric, that she is.

Jared said...

Tim,

I tend to agree that a person can focus on Mary too much.(Col. 2:17-19) But what you said interests me. My only question is how does one distinguish the "True" Mary from the "False" Mary? This seems a little abstract to me. How is this practical? How is it possible that we can focus on a false Mary? What does this look like?

Thanks,
Jared

Tim A. Troutman said...

Jared, thanks for the comments and sorry to be brief (on a public computer):

I think I offered a bit of a litmus test in my post - if the Mary is not Christocentric, then she is a false Mary.

Your concern is valid of course - ultimately we must use the Word of God to know the true Mary.

Josh McManaway said...

Well said, Tim. In fact, couldn't this be said for anything that God institutes because anything He institutes is for our own good and so, if used properly, always point us towards Him?

Tim A. Troutman said...

Josh, I think you're right. Can I focus too much on, say a table to the point where it detracts from God? Well if I recognize a table for what it is and deal with it according to right reason, then there's no way it could distract me from God.

It's only in dealing with a table that is (radically) contrary to nature that it could get in the way of me and God. But then, it would not be the table per se getting in the way - it would be my act which was contrary to reason.

So, if it needs to be said, the Catholic Church only says that proper focus, holy praise, right understanding regarding Mary is non-distracting from God. It does not maintain that sinful interaction, corrupted focus, unreasonable praise of Mary does not detract from God. It does. But so does improper handling of tables.

Thanks for bringing that up. Good point.