Saturday, March 14, 2009

Health Care in the Philippines

Health care in the Philippines, moderate lack of sanitation notwithstanding, is superior to America's commercialized industry. (I'm sure when Obama's plan kicks in, I'll have to eat my words...[sarcasm])


In the Philippines, a magical thing happens when you get sick. You go to the drug store and buy a pill and you're cured. My sister in law came down with something (symptoms showed up, she obviously had it before she came to the Philippines) that in America would have cost several hundred dollars (less whatever insurance paid), a trip to the doctors and to the pharmacy and the several hours associated with such. In the Philippines, it was a matter of a 5 minute trip to the drug store and something like 3 US dollars. Within a few hours, she felt much better and consuming the remainder over the next few days, she was completely cured.

At one point, I complained of a stuffy nose (couldn't breathe through it at all). One of my bystanding relatives walked to the drug store and came back with a solitary pill (wrapped). About 15 minutes later, I noticed that my nose was completely unstuffed never to be stuffed again for the remainder of my trip. What the heck?! In America, if you have a stuffy nose, they have some crap that costs a fortune and will make you feel really weird but it sure as hell ain't gonna do anything about your nose.

I'm also fond of their anti-bacterial lozenges called Strepsil which contain Vitamin C. These things do wonders for colds, sore throats, and bronchitis. On my last trip to the Philippines, the day before I left to go there I fell miserably ill with a severe cold and bought Strepsil on arrival. This trip, they helped me abuse cigarettes. :| Not a good thing. No, I don't smoke. Except when I feel like it.

Anyhow, I contracted a bug while I was there (I think it was something I ate) and though I didn't feel too bad, we decided to go to the doctor just to make sure it was ok before I got on the plane. It was Sunday so the emergency room was the only option. We had to drive about 10 or 15 minutes through dense city streets to get there (which means that there are relatively few hospitals per capita) and there was a single doctor on staff and maybe 3 or 4 nurses. 10 minutes of wait. That's right, 10 minutes. Bill? $12 (including medication). I've had 3 emergency room visits here in America over the last 2 years (wife & kid - they have a knack for getting sick on weekends) and all three have been at least 2 hours of waiting and something like a month's wage. In America they have a half dozen doctors, 2 dozen nurses, a hospital on every corner and you can stop in on Sunday night 2 AM and you'll have to wait for 2 hours to be seen. Many Americans don't realize that runny noses are not medical emergencies. American test for allergic reaction to drugs: "Are you allergic to any drugs?" In the Philippines, they do a skin test to prevent an allergic reaction.

So, what can be done to fix the problems in America? Stop with the prescription drug scam for starters. Let people self medicate. I can't even get medicine for my dog without shelling out money to the vet. In 95% of cases where I didn't already know exactly what was wrong with me and exactly what medicine I needed, the doctor has proved useless. Certain things could remain controlled substances (addictive pain killers for example) but anti-biotics? Come on...

Something seriously needs to be done about emergency rooms but I think giving people the ability to purchase drugs that work without going to a doctor first would dramatically help this problem.

Another thing: let medical insurance go back to being insurance and not pre-payment for unneeded service. The reduction in unnecessary trips to the doctors which self medication would allow would itself lower the insurance premiums but if we actually paid for only major coverage and not for trivial things, this would lower the cost further. Companies paying for employee insurance also adds to the problem. Legislation forcing insurance to cover more types of treatment also makes it more expensive. (Someone needs to let President Obama know this. His plan for reduction of health care costs consists of raising taxes and forcing insurance companies to cover more. Sheer genius.)

My company's health plan is ridiculously bad. To cover my family (of 3) costs something like $850 per month with a $3,000 deductible reimbursable by the company down to $1,000. So that means, I need to have ($850 x 12) + $1,000 worth of medical costs each year just to break even with my expenses. That's $11,200. Seriously. If something happens that's going to cost me $12,000, I'll pay $1,000 for a plane ticket to the Philippines and get the treatment for $50.

7 comments:

Andrew Preslar said...

Timmahhhh!

Andrew Preslar said...

And by "Timmahhh!" I mean that I like this post.

George Weis said...

HAHAHA!!!! That was awesome :D Cool ending.

Don't Smoke ya dang fool.

America... once again a very screwed up place... peddling all these useless drugs. They are just trying to kill us off of course. The Elite of the world are doing their best :D

Excellent and enjoyable!

-g-

Joseph said...

I concur

elm said...

I feel your pain!!!! Just recovering from a broken leg, which needed surgery. Having paid over $900. a month for 10 years, I assumed that I would walk away, figuratively, not literally, from this accident with very little to pay after insurance coughed up their bit. Not only did they discount the amount the surgeon, ambulatory center and ambulance, anesthesiologist, and others charged by 30% but they left me with an over $1500. balance. Having metal and screws inserted into my bones, you would think this would be covered in the surgery charge, but nooooo, the insurance company is so creative. There is no way to find out in advance what you will be nailed with in the end. The insurer called the repair under my muscle a "durable medical equipment". Like I can take it off, like it is comparable to a wheelchair or cast.
I wish there was a way to charge the insurers for all the time you are required to be on the phone to make sure that they do their job.

There is surely someone in this nation that can think clearly and rationally about how to stop this ludicrous method of health insurance. Getting injured is definitely buyer beware and buyer’s remorse.

Maybe I can sell my leg to recover the metal and come out even. I wonder if there are "take backs" in the medical field, just like you can do at Target.

Gretchen said...

Amen, Tim.

Debt1Consolidation said...

Asbestos is a naturally occurring silicate mineral with long, thin fibrous crystals. The word asbestos is derived from a Greek adjective meaning inextinguishable. The Greeks termed asbestos the miracle mineral because of its soft and pliant properties, as well as its ability to withstand heat.Asbestos is known to have toxicity. The inhalation of toxic asbestos fibers can cause serious illnesses, including malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer, and asbestosis. Since the mid 1980s, many uses of asbestos have been banned in several countries.Asbestos became increasingly popular among manufacturers and builders in the late 19th century because of its resistance to heat, electricity and chemical damage, its sound absorption and tensile strength. When asbestos is used for its resistance to fire or heat, the fibers are often mixed with cement or woven into fabric or mats. Asbestos was used in some products for its heat resistance, and in the past was used on electric oven and hotplate wiring for its electrical insulation at elevated temperature, and in buildings for its flame-retardant and insulating properties, tensile strength flexibility, and resistance to chemicals.