Sunday, June 07, 2009

Fr. Jeffrey Steel Jumps Into the Tiber

Well the news is making the rounds pretty quick and it's probably not a huge surprise to anyone who's been following him but Fr. Jeffrey Steel, an Anglican priest, has announced on his blog, De Cura Animarum, that he will be swimming the Tiber along with his family.
My PhD studies really set me on my Catholic journey in a deep theological way though I did not realise it at the time. I have been looking at Bishop Lancelot Andrewes as a catalyst for ecumenism with the Catholic Church in the area of Eucharistic sacrifice. Andrewes was in regular dialogue with S. Robert Bellarmine SJ and it is in this dialogue and Andrewes’ other writings that I saw how Catholic he was with regards to the Eucharist being the Christian offering which consisted of more than a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. It was and is propitiatory as well as other things. Read More...
There is one hope for Christian unity and it lies just beyond the banks of the Tiber.

2 comments:

journeytorome said...

Tim - Fr Jeff was also a Presbyterian pastor in the PCA prior to becoming a priest in the Church of England. Don't know if you knew that or not. Kevin Branson

Tim A. Troutman said...

I knew he had some Reformed background but didn't know he was a PCA Pastor. Interesting.