Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thirty Thousand Montagnards Convert to the Catholic Church

Of course everyone has heard of the new Anglican provisions made by Pope Benedict which will pave the way for (probably) hundreds of thousands of conversions, this story about the Montagnards (indigenous people of the central Vietnam highlands) hit home with me because I taught English to Montagnard refugees for two years. I still have many good friends from the Jarai tribe although I have unfortunately lost touch with most of them. (That reminds me...) Anyway, last year 30,000 Montagnards became Catholic and there are currently 20,000 more preparing to convert.

4 comments:

Taylor Marshall said...

This is so awesome. Deo gratias.

Ben said...

WOW... but the article you link to doesn't really go into detail... Why so many conversions? Why now? What were they before?

I would really like to know more about this, how wonderful!

Tim A. Troutman said...

I'm not sure what the occasion. The Montagnards are historically polytheistic. They are indigenous peoples of the central highlands of Vietnam (they are not Vietnamese).

In the 50s and 60s, evangelical missionaries converted tens of thousands to Christianity. I would imagine that many or most of these converts were formerly evangelical.

Teri said...

This is amazing! Our parish has several Vietnamese families but, that is not the same as you explained.

I still can't get over the love and beauty of worshipping next to my Philipino, Hispanic, and African American brothers and sisters in Christ's One Body.

Isn't that what it was supposed to look like?

Blessings,
Teri